Hello my people!!!! Here is a recipe I took from Bodybuilding.com and engineered it to fit our theme here. I’m also going to add a tip or two at the end for you so you can be prepared for what’s to come.
Here’s all the ingredients that you’re going to need:
1) ½ Cup of Pumpkin Puree or Cooked Sweet Potato
2) 1 Cup Liquid Egg Whites (I used Egg Beaters)
3) ½ Cup of Quinoa Flakes (Could sub with Oats or Barley Flakes)
4) ¼ Cup Milk (Any kind will work)
5) 2 tsp Baking Powder
6) 2 tsp Orange Zest
7) 2 tsp Vanilla Extract (The original called for vanilla essence.)
8) ½ Cup Vanilla Casein Protein Powder (or Vanilla Brown Rice Protein)
1) 2 Scoops Casein Protein Powder ( ½ – ¾ Cup, depending on desired thickness)
2) 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
3) 5 tsp Milk (About 75 ml)
DIRECTIONS FOR CUPCAKES
1) Preheat your oven to 360 Degrees F (180 C).
2) Now, everyone into the pool! Mix your ingredients all together at once in a medium to large bowl until everything is evenly distributed.
3) Pour batter into 6 Muffin Cups. I know the picture shows 12, but I doubled the original recipe to make some to share at work.
4) Bake for 20-25 Minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5) Once done, remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool.
1) In another bowl, stir together protein powder and yogurt
2) Stir in one tablespoon of milk at a time until you get a frosting-like mixture. It should be creamy and not overly runny. Feel free to add more casein if you want thinker frosting or more greek yogurt if you want creamier.
3) When the casein mixture is ready, use it to frost your cooled muffins! You can use a knife or put the frosting in a Ziploc bag, cut off the corner, and squeeze the frosting onto your cupcakes. If you have a piping nozzle, you can use that as well.
4) The little extra I did was separate some of the frosting as white and used food coloring to dye the majority of it green so that I could design 1Up Mushrooms.
And that my friends is the protein powered 1Up Cake! The one thing I can offer as a good tip that the original recipe didn’t mention was it the frosting can be a little runny, however when you refrigerate them the frosting sets up nicely and the over powering Casein flavor will dissipate a bit. Also, make sure to keep them refrigerated, you are dealing with dairy, so it can melt and/or spoil. This recipe makes a nice light protein packed punch that Mario can easily depend on for an extra life. ^_^
NUTRITION FACTS (Can vary depending on your ingredients)
Original Recipe Source: Bodybuilding.com –